Back into the first week of the second term which leaves 46 school days to enjoy until the final day of this quarter namely Friday 9 July. I really do hope that each Prep partner had a most enjoyable break of a week which gave you that opportunity to re-charge for this very busy second quarter.
I personally call on all Prep families to ensure that you have read the ‘Message from the Headmaster’ (on our School Ethos) that was sent in the report envelope. As parents, please share the content of this message with your son, if you have not already done so. Each class educator will also be working through this information with their respective class. This means that the Prep boy is hearing the same message from home and having these points explained again at school. We as the Prep partners are thus working with a common agenda on the content which will clearly re-inforce these non-negotiable values that we as the “DPHS family” support. No child will be able to use any excuse of being unaware of this code of conduct with regards to behaviour, positive attitudes, expectations, appearance etc. I have addressed the boys at assemblies this week on these same matters clearly stating that our entire ‘Prep family’ should now stand united in building on our levels of excellence in our beloved school. Each class has also been visited throughout the school, including the Grade R classes, where the theme of ‘friendship, caring and kindness’ was shared. Each Prep boy is again expected to practise these positive actions, in and out of the classroom which must extend into break time, extra mural activities and even outside of school. By doing this, term 2 will also be an amazing experience for all Prep partners to enjoy, creating a synergy that will endorse our call of “preparing the boys for life!” I will constantly refer to our school ethos values system as these are lifeskills that need to be reminded on a regular basis rather than just a once off, at the beginning of each year.
In term one we held an Open Afternoon for visitors after the school day had ended to share in our ‘Prep experience’. Last night we held an Open Evening conducted along the same format where prospective parents could visit our school after their working day. All health and safety protocols were in place to accommodate visitors to our school. Our sincerest appreciation goes to our co-ordinator for the event namely our Director of Marketing Mrs Hunter, the School Management and those staff involved in assisting in this programme which was again a most successful highlight on our Prep calendar.
Even though we are all focused on the daily challenges and busy programmes, let us pause to pay the utmost respect to our ‘Mothers’ in each family which also includes ‘Grandmother.’ Please be reminded that we celebrate “Moms” on their special day this coming Sunday 9 May. I also include our amazing ‘Supermoms’ here at school ie all the ladies on the staff who step into this role on a daily basis in support of the family. DPHS will be holding an online Mothers’ Day Assembly this coming Friday at 8h00. May each DPHS boy lead the way with his family in organizing a ‘Mother’s Day’ celebration that will deservedly spoil mom throughout her special day. Thank you for the love, care and support that you constantly provide for your family and our school. Happy Mother’s Day.
- Extra Mural activities are fully operational on a daily basis with Inter House rugby on Friday and Grade 2 Mini Rugby back in action this Saturday morning with our Grade 1 Mini Rugby programme the following Saturday. Please remember that no spectators are allowed on the school grounds.
- There will also be Durban Central Hockey Trials for selected U12/U13 boys taking place next week.
- We also look forward to the re launch of our “Music Progress Concert” under the cultural pillar.
- Our annual Speech and Drama Festival/adjudication is getting closer – please make sure that your son is well prepared for his presentations.
- A well in advance notification that our Senior Primary Parents’ Week Interviews will be taking place in the last week of this month.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT ……
- Your son gets to school well on time and is collected punctually at the end of his school activities.
- He is extremely neat in his appearance for the school day.
- His homework/self-study tasks receive his very best attention.
- You as parents inform the school of any change in contact details and/or address.
CONGRATULATIONS MR PREP
Congratulations to the following boys:
JP – Yusuf Hassim – Grade 1 Muller
SP – Ryan Van Zyl – Grade 6 Hammond
HEADMASTERS QUOTE FOR THE WEEK
“A Mother is she who can take the place of all others
but whose place no one else can take”