We have now reached the fourth and final lap of the year which relates to 45 school days to really celebrate before the end of the year with break-up day being December. This has been a productive year with new initiatives implemented throughout the year to ensure a productive and rewarding school functionality.
I share with you the latest news that our staff member Mr Barry Thatcher will be leaving DPHS at the end of this year to take up a position in a school in the Highway Area. Mr Thatcher travels in from the area on a daily basis but he and his family see the need for him to be closer to home hence the decision to take up the position that has become available. Mr Thatcher has always been ‘Proudly Prep” in his service to our school and has thoroughly enjoyed being part of our staff team, especially in his position this year as our Natural Science specialist for the senior grades. He has also been actively involved in the extra mural programme here at school. This information regarding Mr Thatcher’s move, is shared with you now that we have very recently had this confirmation which as stated is understood and respected. DPHS has already advertised the position and will be moving to finalizing the most suitable person to join the staff team. Further thanks and acknowledgement will be given to Mr Thatcher nearer the end of the year.
A few activities have been listed here in no preferential order that are highlighted during this very busy term.
- This week has already been launched from day one with cricket practices and we look forward to the Senior Tennis House matches to start on Monday and the Juniors to start on Tuesday of next week. We also look forward to our long awaited, first round of cricket fixtures set for Friday/Saturday which will be played against Umhlali.
- There is much excitement as we flight our annual concert ie. “Durban Prep’s Got Talent –Season 2”. You are reminded that this amazing expression of talent and skills which was filmed at the end of last term. Please enjoy the viewing of DPGT No 2 which is aired today. Well done Prep!
- Our 1st Team Water Polo Team will be in action at the SACS Tournament in Cape Town ready to hopefully bring home the trophy and gold medals. Best wishes to our Coach Mr May, Mr Dick, Captain Oliver Ludwig and our boys who will hopefully be in the finals on the weekend. I look forward to joining the team and parents at this event – Go Prep!
- Our Grade 7 Grade will be hosting their annual “Market Day” next week which is always a major event creating much excitement for our boys and the staff across the school. These entrepreneurs show their true business skills and marketing skills with a wide variety of stalls set up in the Market space. This event is set down for Wednesday 20 October so please send your son to school with the extra ‘pocket money’ to enjoy his day shopping for treats and fun items.
- Our Mothers Committee will be hosting another second hand clothing sale here at school this Saturday 16 October. They will be setting up in the JP ramp entrance at the front of the school in Gordon Road. Please make every effort to support the sale which is arranged for your son’s needs and benefit with regards to his Prep uniform items. Thanks Mothers Committee for hosting this sale.
- Our cultural pillar will also be actively involved next week with the following events that afford our boys to display their musical talents. These events will be a Music Progress Concert on the Tuesday evening followed by a virtual Drumming Workshop with Oakland University in the USA on Wednesday evening. This is a wonderful experience for our music staff, boys and school to share their skills with an institution overseas. Let the drumbeat be heard across our land and seas – thank you to Mrs Briscoe for arranging this international opportunity.
- Thank you to Mrs Mia Venter, Mrs Liz Elliott and Chairman of the DPHS School Trust and Mrs Hunter for hosting the DPHS Educational Trust Golf Day at Royal Durban Course this Friday. Congratulations to all the Golf Committee members and assistants for ensuring that this golf day is fully supported with every tee off time booked with a waiting list for others keen to join in place. We as a school extend our sincerest appreciation to all involved which includes our many loyal sponsors for the tee off boxes and greens. Our parents also need to be applauded for the generous donation of prizes towards the day and for the support given to their sons in selling their raffle sheets to add to the overall fund-raising total. I wish all the organisers, players and sponsors a most rewarding day of Prep friendships and an enjoyable outing on the golf course. Thank you to Royal Durban for hosting the DPHS Golf day as the venue each year.
- I am sure you have beamed with pride when you have driven around the city and seen our DPHS posters advertising another DPHS Open Day which is set for next week on Tuesday 19 October. Please share the advert with friends and family who would be looking to join our Prep family – we look forward to their attendance on the day. Please contact Mrs Hunter at the Marketing Office to register for a tour on the day.
CONGRATULATIONS MR PREP
Congratulations to the following boys:
JP – Daniel Peterson – Grade 3 Marklew
SP – Connor Donaldson – Grade 7 Turner
HEADMASTERS QUOTE FOR THE WEEK
“There is no elevator to ‘Success’ – you have to take the ‘Stairs’”