I hope that this newsletter finds you well and safe. I only intend sending out newsletters when we have relevant and important information to share with you, so please take the time to digest all the information in this communication.
As mentioned in my first newsletter, we were very hopeful that the Adjusted Alert Level 1 COVID-19 regulations would change and that this would allow us to return to our normal pre-covid teaching structures and extended Prep programme.
Based on the trajectory of the pandemic and the levels of vaccination in the country, Cabinet has decided to make the following changes to Adjusted Alert Level 1 with immediate effect:
- Those who test positive with no symptoms do not have to isolate.
- If you test positive with symptoms, the isolation period has been reduced from 10 to 7 days.
- Contacts do not have to isolate unless they develop symptoms.
- The regulatory provision for social distancing of 1 meter for learners in schools has been removed.
The above changes were discussed at a Staff meeting earlier today. The following changes will be put in place by the end of the school day:
- Grade 5 Huber, 6 Hammond and 6 Armstrong to return to their home classrooms and to continue as a single class. There will be no more split classes with live streaming.
- Mr Fisher, Mr Mouton and Mr May to return to their original classrooms. The Media Centre, Natural Science Laboratory and Staffroom to return to their pre-covid use.
- Masks are still mandatory and sanitizers are still to be used when entering the different venues.
- All boys will have a screen between them at their desk – these screens are available as they were sourced and made at the end of last year in preparation for 2022.
- The DPHS Covid 19 Protocols will be amended and placed on the d6 for future reference.
These new changes were well received by all the staff and will be implemented with all the necessary safety protocols in mind. We will not be dropping our guard and will continue to work hard to ensure the safety of all our boys and staff.
ST STITHIANS SPORTS TOUR
We wish all our boys and Prep parents well as they prepare to embark on the first of our many sports tours this year. We have, for over three decades, toured to and hosted St Stithians and now look forward to renewing our friendships and healthy rivalry with our hosts from Johannesburg.
Over 110 boys and staff, along with many supportive parents, will descend upon St Stithians this week and will no doubt get to enjoy time cementing friendships while watching some very competitive schoolboy sport.
Good luck to all our cricketers, golfers, tennis players and water polo players – may new friendships be made and good sportsmanship prevail throughout the tour.
PARENTS’ INFORMATION EVENINGS
What a pleasure it was to welcome parents back into our school last week for the Parent Information Evenings. Thank you to all the Parents that took the time to attend these very important meetings and to take the opportunity to touch base at the start of the very busy 2022 academic year.
I wish everyone the very best for the St Stithians Sports Tour and encourage you all to get actively involved in all the other exciting activities planned for the Prep Community over the next few days.